Sunday, September 18, 2016

Day 1 Barcelona's El Prat Airport to Stiges 24 miles

On some trips I can sleep on the plane—not so much this time. We landed about 8:15 am, passport and customs were quick, and both checked bags were out by 9 am. I managed to find a relatively quiet place to assemble the bike and change clothes. As usual, I had quite a few curious onlookers and I overheard a voice on an escalator say: It's a Bike Friday. I bet he is going to ride out of here.

Ready to Ride to Stiges. After a number of false starts I found the perfect assembly area near a restroom, seating, and a drinking fountain. The process was change clothes, assemble the bike and trailer, answer passer-by questions, wash hands, pose, eat my last huckleberry muffin, and roll out.

The Information Kiosk person said that I had to ride out of the airport on a bike path near Area G. I never found either one. I circled Terminal 2, my Garmin finally locked on the satellites, so I followed my pre-set course towards Stiges. Just when I convinced myself that I was on a road barred to bikes, another road cyclist would pass. The first 12 miles were flat, urban or highway riding. The next 8 miles were hilly coastal riding with the occasional shoulder and lots of Saturday drivers in a rush. Using the Garmin directions with occasional iPhone confirmations, I located our hotel fairly easily. 

Check-in by a young Italian woman from Milan was friendly but slow. The hotel had two locations, and the address I had was at the auxiliary site. Buzz, smile for the camera, wait for the clerk to arrive, park the bike in the underground garage, walk down the street and through the pool area to the main lobby, check-in, walk back, stow the trailer in the garage, then look for the magnetic card key slot to unlock the entrance. Fortunately, a guest comes out and says it's always opened remotely. This sort of process is typical of most of my arrivals, due to jet lag, lapses of the synapses, and unfamiliarity with the language and local customs. 

We are in room 707. Thinking 3 floors is too many steps, I wait for the elevator, which offers only 3 floors. A cleaning staff person offered to help: It's on the 2nd floor. Typical for Europe, the ground floor is "0", so 707 is up two flights of stairs. Do-able. Nice, clean room.

Coast Road View Looking North Towards Barcelona. Given this is Spain, typically 80s F in September, it was about 70, mild a tail wind at times, and nearly perfect riding except for the passing cars.

Coast Road View Southwest Towards Stiges. Minimal shoulder, but most drivers were courteous. Numerous road signs reminded drives to a leave 1.5 meter gap when passing cyclists. Post completion of the Vuelta (Spanish Tour), many road cyclists were enjoying this coastal road.

Fine Spanish Hams on Offer. The typical price was around 100 euros each.

Dog of the Day. At risk of invoking stereotypes, Stiges is a popular LGBT-friendly community. Lots of well-groomed dogs to choose from. This winner was eager to pose.

—Nice Route. Mostly flat, urban, dodging limited access roads for the 1st half, and then coastal ups and downs with great Med views while dodging Saturday traffic.






No comments:

Post a Comment